As we kick off a new year, let’s take a look at the top posts on IP LEGAL FREEBIES:
- Copyright Law: Using quotes from someone else in your book, blog or website – Using Dr. Martin Luther King Junior’s famous ‘I Have a Dream’ speech as an example of a copyrighted work filled with famous quotes… we take a look at the fair use doctrine and how evaluations are made regarding use of copyrighted content.
- Music Royalties will start being paid for plays on YouTube – In 2012 YouTube started paying royalties for plays on their website.
- How to write a © copyright notice and why to use it – Writing a copyright notice on your original work is free and easy to do. (if you aren’t already in the habit of doing this, make it a new years resolution!)
- Copyright Law: Using quotes from someone else in your book, blog or website (part two) – Remember that the HEART of a work is heavily protected by copyright law.
- Copyright is valuable – ‘The Birthday Song’ earns $2 Million a year in royalties – We all know it… it’s only eight measures long, spans an octave and was written for children …but it’s a big money maker.
- Understand How You’re Getting Paid – ROYALTIES on GROSS vs NET REVENUE and an ADVANCE – Seeing these words in a contract or agreement will impact payment… become familiar with the meaning of these terms.
- ‘NAME Brand’ – Using your name as a brand and trademark – Paul Revere may have been the first American entrepreneur to use his name to brand his products. Are you considering it too?
Happy New Year! Thank you for reading. Wishing you all the best with your creative and entrepreneurial endeavors.
BY: Vanessa Kaster, Esq., LL.M.